Joy’s Place is an Emergency Shelter that provides temporary safe shelter and support for adult women and their dependent children (if any) who are victims of domestic violence or are at risk of experiencing abuse, threats and/or violence. The program is not intended for women with problems related exclusively to their mental health, alcoholism or drug abuse issues. (604) 464-2020
In a safe environment we offer:
- Food, shelter, and basic necessities for women and their children up to 30 days.
- Support and information related to abuse in intimate relationships.
- Information and referral to appropriate community services regarding legal procedures, income assistance, housing, health, etc.
- Advocacy and assistance as necessary.
- Telephone counselling.
- Outreach counselling by appointment or telephone
- Integrated agency programming
The transition house operates on a 24/7 basis.
We also provide additional services to women and children who are staying at the transition house:
- Crisis intervention and support
- Individual and/or group support to assist resident parents and children in understanding and coping with the effects of abusive cycles and family violence
- Structured play and educational programs for resident children
- Individual and/or group support to assist resident parents in developing effective parenting skills;
- Referral to other community supports as deemed necessary;
- Respite services for resident parents.
- Peer counselling and referrals
- Ongoing support groups and workshops
- Support for women and children
- Parenting programs for moms, including teenage moms, separated/divorced parents and fathers
- Clothing bank
- Resource library, employment information and internet services